Thursday, August 26, 2010

Occupational Therapy Week 25-29 October 2010

Occupational Therapy week starts on 25th October. As discussed in the OT Insight magazine August 31(7), the theme is "Stand Tall, Stand Proud". Three key messages to be promoted are: valuing our future; valuing ourselves and valuing our place in the world. 

As I am about to leave the cocoon and comfort (but not forgetting the stresses too) of being a student in the near future and embark on my chosen career, these are three fine examples that I will adhere to live up to and for the future of OT as a whole. We hear so much about how it can be hard to define what we do and because there is such a large scope of opportunity with the profession, it also means that those not in the industry also has a hard time pinpointing what we do. While I love the fact that OT such a diverse area to work in, this can be what makes it so hard to describe. Maybe this becomes easier as we make our mark in the world and find our niche, or speciality then we can more easily describe this to others. I look forward to the day when I can proudly explain what I am and what I do in my job each day.

So back to OT week, what is everyone doing to celebrate this? I will be on my final placement so it will be interesting to see what is being organised. I would love to hear what your group or workplace will be doing over this week. Please feel free to let me know and share with some others.

PS I loved the photo of the poster that was inspired by a student project entitled “Of all the ordinary things you do”. I can just see that appealing to so many people and it so easily explains so much about us and our daily lives. Well done to those responsible for its creation. Refer to page 3 of OT Insight to view.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm that's on the 5th week of placement isn't it? Well I guess I'll celebrate by being that one step closer to being a full fledged OT! Maybe send out some job applications to mark the occasion. Ha. I'm sure there'll be something happening at work at all our placements, like morning tea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping that you will have access to the internet - check out this international conference that is free, and starts in Dunedin, New Zealand

    http://ot4ot.weebly.com/world-ot-day-schedule.html

    This is our groups contribution to World OT Day - spread the word!

    ReplyDelete