We all have senses, but we use them differently. Some of us are very aware of our senses and how hard our bodies work and react to the information they provide, some of us, not so much. We get to experience all these wonderful smells, glorious sights, enchanting sounds, divine foods and exciting touches. Imagine a live without these amazing gifts…not worth it I say.
Prior to becoming a student, I never thought much about what I could and couldn’t do with regard to my senses, how they act as a gate-keeping for my body. I think this is why sensory modulation made such a big impact on me.
I wonder if it is the same for many of our clients, particularly those with a mental health issue. Do they realise how much senses impact on our mind and body? Do they realise how much the body regulates and modulates itself (without us even knowing) because of what information our senses take in. Do they even care?
It was only as part of a placement that I got to really see the impact of listening or not listening to our senses. Clients who had problems modulating themselves, often found themselves in need of decreasing or increasing their levels of arousal.
Some tools that aided in decreasing levels were:
• Weighted blanket or soft toy
• Essential oils on a burner
• Essential oils in a balm
• Essential oils in a sniff box
• Relaxing music
• Lighting
• Rocking or massage chair
What amazed me was that these items can be every day items in our own homes. We could set up our own little sensory room in our own home. Of course it does take a spare room, or somewhere you can have quiet time.
I came home from this placement all keen to create my own piece of paradise at home. Unfortunately it has not happened yet, but the idea is still there and still burning. I did buy two groovy lava lamps, but unfortunately they were pretty impractical as they took quite a long time to heat up. I already have some essential oils and relaxation music. I would love to make, (but will probably have to get someone else to make it as my sewing skills are very poor) a weighted blanket. I loved the feelings that this provided, the deep pressure that it provided, providing me with calmness and comfort.
I have included a website link (or two) with instructions on how to make one of these.
One day I will have my sensory room.
This blog was created to enhance my understanding around sensory modulation within an Occupational Therapy practice. My own learning has centered on using this concept within an inpatient mental health unit while on placement. The primary focus was to get people to relax, reduce their stress and anxiety levels, and learn ways they can self-manage these themselves. I would also like your input to help me understand how this concept has been incorporated into other settings.
Yes I agree with you Lisa that I never thought about it before. Now that I've learned about Sensory Integration I often think to myself "Ooh need to regulate" when I'm too uptight or stressed. Or sometimes I can actually recognise signs of sensory overload for me now (zoning out, not focussing on words on page). The idea of a sensory blanket sounds really good! I always enjoyed heavy duvets so maybe I am craving some proprioceptive input! :p
ReplyDeleteThank you Mary, I appreciate your comments and I will look out for the book you mentioned.
ReplyDelete