Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Behind the scenes

I was lucky enough to see and experience sensory modulation in action, and I was inspired by the details related to its use, therefore I was interested in learning about the theory behind the concept. This blog has given me the chance to look a bit closer. Unfortunately I have found myself getting a little confused as there seems to be so little information about sensory modulation (as opposed to sensory integration) that I was not sure where to draw the line between the two or even if that was possible.

I was not been able to find much information in our library on sensory modulation, so I thought I would see what I could find on line. It was recommended that I check out two websites in particular for general information on the subject (see below for these websites). I did find a review of the literature by Wilbarger and Stackhouse on the OT-Solutions website (http://www.ot-innovations.com/content/view/29/58/).

Unfortunately this has still left me confused. A conclusion by the authors did help though, and they have found that sensory modulation is a work in progress, still requiring a lot of research to be done. The brain is such a magnificent organism with hierarchal systems in place that we still do not fully understand its makeup.

Wilbarger and Stackhouse have stated that after reviewing the literature they do not believe that a suitable definition for sensory modulation has been written.

There fore the authors own definition is that “sensory modulation is the intake of sensation via typical sensory processing mechanisms such that the degree, intensity and quality of response is graded to match environmental demand and so that a range of optimal performance/adaptation is maintained”.

• Tina Champagne's website www.ot-innovations.com

• Karen Moore's www.sensoryconnectionprogram.com

No comments:

Post a Comment